Friday, February 3, 2012

Record your memories

As I grow older there are things I wish I had done when my children were growing up. I wish I had kept records of the memorable things they said and did. A lot of people keep baby books for the first year or two. I say, keep those records going! When your 2 year old says something really adorable you think you will remember it forever. That is not always the case. I have four children and I remember a lot about what they said and did. But, there are those moments when someone else will talk about some small thing that they remember and I think "how could I have forgotten that?" Then I start wondering what else I have forgotten. Stories of which child did what get blurry. (don't judge me all you young moms, your days of foggy memory are coming) I wish I had written it all down over the years.
What I would suggest to young parents is to start a journal on each child. Daily or weekly set aside a few minutes to jot down a story from that week about each child. Make a note of favorite words, sayings, songs, games and foods. In 20 or 30 years you will be glad you did and your children will surely enjoy reading through the journals with you. (and you will have written proof that "baby boy" liked green vegetables at one point in his life) I would also suggest starting a photo album for each child. I know you have all those cute pics on your computer but print a few out each month and put in the album. When your children are older you will have a lovely album of their life to give to them. Sure, you could put them on a disk or thumb drive for them but there is something wonderful about sitting together and flipping through an album of old photos. If you are so inclined, make a scrapbook. If you are not so inclined, just do a plain album. Either one is fine.
Memories of your children are not the only ones worth preserving. If you have a family member who tells elaborate stories about the family history, sings or is known for their joke telling make a recording of it. It will be a family treasure. Document the history and stories you know about your family. One day, someone will be glad you did. Every family seems to have at least one "historian" who likes to know and pass on the old family tales. Written documentation will keep the stories accurate.
Now, stop browsing on the computer, grab a notebook and start recording those memories!

The Momma

No comments:

Post a Comment