Thursday, February 2, 2012

Work those minds

Active minds stay sharper. I think most people have heard this at one time or another especially regarding older adults. I think it is good for children and adults alike. Start early on challenging your children to think and learn new things. Play chess, scrabble and other games that require them to really think. Puzzles are a great family activity and a great workout for the mind. Make sure the puzzle you do as a family is at a good skill level for the children to be able to work it. Do a riddle a day with the kids. Buy them activity books with word searches and mazes. I also think it is important to teach your children to really learn about things they have an interest in. If your child likes to draw, get them a beginner art book on sketching. Buy a children's book on making jewelry and make necklaces.
Parents, don't neglect your own minds! Take up new hobbies and learn all you can about them. Do more complex puzzles. Work the crossword puzzle in the paper. Read a book. Learn to build a birdhouse. I know it can be hard as a parent to find any spare time. Work, the kids and the household chores can seem to consume the day. Find the time somewhere. Schedule yourself in. Once the children are grown, keep working your mind. This blog is a way for me to keep my mind challenged. I recently joined a photo of the day group and am learning about photography. I took up jewelry making less than a year ago. The idea is to keep the challenges coming, for you and your children. So, put on your thinking caps and come up with ways to keep challenging the minds in your home!

The Momma

3 comments:

  1. You have some really good insights here. All too often, I have seen advice that says "what" you should do but gives no or poor examples on "how" to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, I really like the fact that you point out the parents need to keep learning, too.

    ReplyDelete