Saturday, January 21, 2012

Dads make the pancakes

I had pancakes this morning, which my husband made. He usually makes the pancakes. As I was enjoying mine this morning I was thinking about all the households I know of where the dad makes the pancakes. It is pretty common. I wondered why this is. Here is what I think. Dads don't multitask well in a household setting. I mean, think about it moms. When mom cook breakfast it is often something that goes in the oven thus allowing us to hunt down that pesky left shoe that keeps going MIA, distribute those critical book reports that just had to be printed at 10 pm and were then left on the printer and other morning tasks, all while breakfast is cooking. When moms do cook breakfast on the stove it is a full breakfast. Scrambled eggs, bacon, grits and biscuits all timed to be ready simultaneously and served hot along side just poured milk and juice. We may even manage to start the days first load of laundry or sweep the kitchen while the eggs start to set and the bacon crisps up a little more. I am not saying it is a bad thing that dads make the pancakes. It is wonderful. It makes pancakes a really special treat for breakfast and gives dads the chance to "play" father's flying flapjacks. (from Little Bear, this is where dad tosses the flapjack in the air and the child catches it on their plate.) Be prepared to clean up a few misses and make extra batter.  I just think moms are more geared to multitasking while cooking maybe because we are wired that way or maybe because we do it more.
Also, moms think of the total nutritional package when cooking. While men focus on cooking one thing, such as barbecue, really well (and certainly better than the dad next door) moms focus on ways to make it appealing to the kids and to hide more fruits and veggies in it.
I am pleased to see that more men are sharing in household chores since both spouses often work. This includes the cooking. My husband actually does a lot of the cooking now that he is retired. He is a very good cook. We are still  working on a few of the finer points such as "meat alone is not a meal" and "everything on the plate shouldn't be a starch" but he does a good job and I am enjoying the break from being primary cook. We are actually cooking together more and that is nice. Perhaps in the households where dad does the cooking (I see this is more and more common) mom makes the pancakes. I will have to ask around....

The Momma

No comments:

Post a Comment