Saturday, January 21, 2012

Don't be a walking encyclopedia

I remember when my children thought I knew everything. It was a wonderful time. They were young, curious and considered me the authority on everything. That was before they met the woman they called "my teacher". Perhaps it is a longing for those early years that later leads so many of us to become a walking encyclopedia for our children. It is so easy to just answer when asked how to spell a word or what is a group of fish called. That's right, ask mom, she knows. It is satisfying to know they have turned back to you, their loving mother, for all of their answers. Don't fall for it. (I admit, I fell for it on more than one occasion)The teacher knows the answer too. She didn't tell them because it is called homework and they are supposed to do it themselves. Explain how to work the problem if they don't understand, but do not give them the answer. Show them how to look for the information, but do not give them the answer. Help them by letting them do the work.
I believe it is important to start at an early age teaching your children how to find answers on their own. Often when my children were young I would answer a question with "let's go look it up". I tried to make it fun to find the answers. Empower your children with the knowledge and confidence that they can find the answers. Don't teach them that they can find someone else to do the work for them.  I admit that there were times when I was as tired of trying to get the kids to finish homework as they were of doing it. I gave them the answer and we all went to bed. It happens. But, they need to do their own work. Refrain from doing that science project for them. Offer guidance, but let them choose the topic. Encourage them to take their time, but let them cut out the pictures. Suggest they lay everything out on the poster first, but let them decide where it goes and glue it down. The teacher knows how old they are and does not expect adult quality work. And dads, get your own pine wood derby kit. Really.

The Momma

No comments:

Post a Comment