Saturday, January 21, 2012

Mom, what's for dinner?

Mom, what's for dinner? I have been asked this question countless times. My standard answer became "food". One of my son's always asked this question at breakfast because he liked to be able to think about it all day. My answer would either elicit excitement of a day filled with anticipation of a favorite meal or start him thinking about what extra snacks he might aquire to fill him up before dinner. As the kids got older, a favorite meal on the menu often led to the "mom, can my friends eat dinner here" question. The answer was always yes. Having four children meant I always cooked enough for at least ten people. I enjoyed meeting my children's friends and they seemed to enjoy sitting down to a home cooked meal. It has surprised and saddened me over the years to hear how few families seem to prepare their own meals on a regular basis or to even sit down and have dinner together as a family. What once was the norm for families seems to have become a rarity. I believe this is one reason there are increasing problems with youth in today's society. Families no longer share and learn from their collective experiences on a regular basis. Families no longer problem solve together. The strength and guidance of a close family is no longer present in many homes.  Family time together is too often centered around frantic preparations to get to the next function. Dinner is grabbed on the run, often separately.  Dinner at our house is a time to bond. Everyone talks about their day and everyone takes an interest in what is being said. Issues are discussed, manners are discussed, family values are taught. The dinner table is where children are taught that everyone has a right to their opinion. The dinner table is where children are taught how to agree to disagree. The dinner table is where children are taught about respect, responsibility and honesty through everyday conversations. The dinner table is where parents and children really get to know each other. So, cook a meal, call the family to the table and enjoy some good conversation! Your family will be better because of it!

The Momma

2 comments:

  1. I;m trying as hard as I can to make sure that most nights, we eat dinner at the table together. We moved away from it for awhile, but we are working on it. Granted, it doesn't necessarily accomplish the same thing when mom and/or dad is reading a book at the table. I guess that'll be my next goal, no reading at the dinner table when others are there as well. :)

    Yay recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think no books, no phones, no tv are good rules. There will be exceptions and that is certainly ok. But kids need to learn how to have conversations. Good place to practice the "no interrupting" rule.

    ReplyDelete