Sunday, January 22, 2012

If you can read, you can achieve

I believe this. If there is something you want to learn how to do, there is a book about it somewhere. If there is something you want to understand better, there is a book about it. Probably lots of books. There is also a wealth of information online. I am a reader. My family will attest to this. For serious learning I still prefer books, but I do a lot of online reading.  When we bought our home and I wanted to landscape and put in a garden I headed to the library. I like to read up on new undertakings. Several dozen books later the pool area was landscaped, the garden was producing and I had my state certification in both horticulture and landscape contracting. Whether it was canning fruit or making soap I loaded up on the books and learned how to do it.
The best gift you can give your children is a love of reading. Start reading to them right away. Don't be afraid to use different voices and sound effects to make the story more interesting. You want them to love reading time. When they learn to read, let them read to you- but still keep reading to them. When my oldest daughter was in high school she had summer reading. I read Last of the Mohicans to her on vacation as we sat on the beach. We both enjoyed it. When one of my children was ill and had a book to finish reading for school, I read it to them. Teach them young to read for enjoyment. As they get older, teach them to read for knowledge.
 As long as it is age appropriate content, let your children read books of their choice for leisure time reading. If all they want to read is Goosebumps or Captain Underpants, let them. They are reading. They will have plenty of assigned reading in school. Let them learn to love reading. As your children get older, read some of  the books they read. By doing so you can make sure it is appropriate, see what interests them, create a common ground to keep your child talking with you and better help them find future books. You may even really enjoy some of the books! 

The Momma

No comments:

Post a Comment